|Research Interests / Job description|
||Agricultural meteorology; Crop water consumption; Microclimate in agricultural screenhouses and greenhouses; Properties of wind above and inside vegetated canopies; Eddy covariance and other turbulent transport measurements of surface fluxes; Evaporation processes; Natural ventilation of buildings; Double-diffusive convection; Free convection flows; Turbulent flows; Experimental methods in fluid mechanics, meteorology and heat transfer.
- B. Sc., Mechanical Engineering, Tel Aviv University
- M. Sc., Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer, Tel Aviv University
- Ph. D., Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer, Tel Aviv University
Current and Recent Projects
- Application of turbulent transport techniques (eddy covariance, surface renewal, flux variance) for quantitative whole canopy evapotranspiration estimates in large agricultural structures: measurements and theory.
- Optimization of covering banana plantations with screens: the effect of the screen texture on the water consumption, microclimate, growth and yield.
- Optimization of screen constructions for shading fruit trees.
- Evaporation from water reservoirs: direct measurements and modeling.
- Improving the evapotranspiration estimation of orchards and vegetable crops covered with screens.
- Real-time measurements of water consumption of processing tomato and cotton in the Hula valley using the surface renewal technique.
- Effect of vegetation on urban micro-climate.
- Application of the Surface Renewal technique for evapotranspiration estimates in small plots in screenhouses and open fields.
- Development of crop water requirements and coefficients, for pepper cultivation in screenhouses and greenhouses.
- Dynamic changes of shade nets properties and their effects on irrigation: Screenhouse banana as a model crop.
- An innovative model for prediction of evapotranspiration and microclimate of screenhouse crops: calibration and validation through field studies.
- Modeling crop water requirements for greenhouse pepper during its initial growth.
Current and Past Students
Markus Möller - Diploma Thesis - Dresden University of Technology (Completed, March 2002).
Vitaly Haslavsky - M. Sc. - Tel Aviv University (Completed, December 2006).
Uri Dicken - Ph. D. - The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Completed, April 2013).
Michael Bahar - M. Sc. - Tel Aviv University (Completed April 2013).
Rafael Rosa - M. Sc. - The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Completed, June 2012).
Moran Pirkner - M. Sc. - The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Completed, March 2013).
Yoni Mekhmandarov - M. Sc. - Tel Aviv University (Completed, May 2014).
Ori Achiman - M. Sc. - The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Completed, December 2014).
Nitay Haymann - M. Sc. - The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Completed, December 2018).
Daniel Hadad - M. Sc. - The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Completed, December 2019).
Nir Berholtz - M. Sc. - The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (In Progress).
Lior Fine - M. Sc. - The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (In Progress).
See also: Google Scholar
- Tanny, J. and Shlien, D.J. (1985).Velocity field measurements of a laminar starting plume, Physics of Fluids 28(4), pp.1027-1032. picture of plume
- Tanny, J. and Tsinober, A. (1988).The dynamics and structure of double-diffusive layers in side wall heating experiments, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 196, pp.135-156. picture of layers
- Tanny, J., and Tsinober, A. (1989). On the Behavior of a System of Double-Diffusive Layers during its Evolution Physics of Fluids A, 1(3), pp. 606-609.
- Tanny, J., Kerpel, J., and Tsinober, A. (1989). On the layered structure in a stable solute gradient heated from below, Experiments in Fluids, 8, pp.161-164.
- Harel, Z., Tanny, J., and Tsinober, A. (1989). Double Diffusive Phenomena in a Stratified Fluid Close to Saturation, Journal of Physico-Chemical Hydrodynamics (PCH), 11 (5/6), pp.703-713.
- Naot, D., Peled, A, and Tanny, J. (1990). Response of Shear Flow Turbulence to Diffusional Electromagnetic Fluctuations, Applied Mathematical Modeling, 14, pp.226-236.
- Chai, A., Kit, E., Tanny, J. (1990). Simultaneous Visualization of Density and Velocity Variations in a Stratified Shear Flow, Experiments in Fluids, 9, pp.107-109.
- Kerpel, J., Tanny, J., Tsinober, A. (1991) On a Stable Solute Gradient Heated from Below with Prescribed Temperature, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 223, pp.83-91.
- Tanny, J., Chai, A. (1991). Hydrogen Bubble Visualization of a Sheared Density Interface, Experiments in Fluids, 10(5), pp. 296-298.
- Kerpel, J., Tanny, J. and Tsinober, A. (1992). On the secondary layers in a stable solute gradient heated from below, Fluid Dynamics Research, 10, pp. 141-147.
- Harel, Z., Tanny, J. and Tsinober, A. (1993). The equilibrium solar pond - a laboratory model for the gradient layer, ASME Journal of Solar Energy Engineering,115, pp. 32-36.
- Chai, A., Tanny, J. and Kit, E. (1993). Experimental investigation of turbulent entrainment in an annulus with moving sidewalls, Experiments in Fluids, 15, pp. 97-107. picture
- Tanny, J., Chai, A. and Kit, E. (1995). On the Law of Turbulent Entrainment across a Density Interface, Fluid Dynamics Research, 15(1), pp. 69-74.
- Tanny, J. (1995). Experimental study on the crystallization of a binary melt at the vertical boundary of an enclosure, The International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol.38, No.7, pp. 1141-1150.
- Tanny, J. and Gotlib, V. A. (1995). Linear stability of a Double Diffusive Layer with Variable Fluid Properties, The International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol.38, No.9, pp. 1683-1691.
- Tanny, J., Chen, C. C. and Chen, C. F. (1995). Effects of interaction between Marangoni and double-diffusive instabilities, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 303, pp. 1-21. Corrigendum published in: J. Fluid Mechanics, Vol.318, pp. 406-407, 1996.
- Krizhevsky, L., Cohen, J. and Tanny, J. (1996). Convective and absolute instabilities of a buoyancy-induced flow in a thermally stratified medium, Physics of Fluids, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 971-977.
- Teitel, M. and Tanny, J. (1996). A note on energy saving in heated enclosures, Building and Environment, Vol.31, No.6, pp. 537-540.
- Teitel, M. and Tanny, J. (1998). Radiative heat transfer from heating tubes in a greenhouse, Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research, Vol. 69, pp. 185-188.
- Tanny, J., and Cohen, J. (1998). The mean temperature field of a buoyancy-induced boundary layer adjacent to a vertical plate immersed in a stratified medium, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 41 (14), pp. 2125-2130.
- Tanny, J. and Teitel, M. (1998). Efficient utilization of energy in buildings and ponds, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 18 (11), pp. 1111-1119.
- Tanny, J. and Yakubov, B. (1999). Experimental study of a double diffusive two-layer system in a laterally heated enclosure, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 42, No. 19, pp. 3619-3629. picture
- Teitel, M. and Tanny, J. (1999). Natural ventilation of greenhouses: experiments and model, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 96, pp.59-70.
- Ashkenazi, A. and Tanny, J. (2000). Vacuum transparent insulation for visualization of solidification experiments, Experiments in Fluids, 28(5), pp. 482-484.
- Tanny, J. and Yakubov, B. (2002). The effect of layer depth on mixing in a double diffusive two-layer system, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 45(10), pp. 2101-2105.
- Tanny, J. and Cohen, S. (2003). The effect of a small shade net on the properties of wind and selected boundary layer parameters above and within a citrus orchard, Biosystems Engineering, Vol. 84(1), pp. 57-67.
- Tanny, J., Cohen, S. and Teitel, M.(2003). Screenhouse microclimate and ventilation: an experimental study, Biosystems Engineering, Vol. 84(3), pp. 331-341.
- Kelley, D. E., Fernando, H. J. S., Gargett, A. E., Tanny, J. and Ozsoy, E.(2003). The diffusive regime of double diffusive convection, Progress in Oceanography, Vol. 56, pp. 461-481.
- Yahav, S., Straschnow, A., Luger, D., Shinder, D., Tanny, J. and Cohen, S. (2004). Ventilation, sensible heat loss and broiler energy and water balance under harsh environmental conditions Poultry Science,Vol. 83(2), pp. 253-258.
- Moller, M., Tanny, J., Li, Y. and Cohen, S. (2004). Measuring and predicting evapotranspiration in an insect-proof screenhouse. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 127, 35-51.
- Teitel, M. and Tanny, J. (2005). Turbulent transport of scalars through roof windows in a naturally ventilated enclosure. Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, 74, 21-47.
- Yahav, S., Shinder, D., Tanny, J. and Cohen, S. (2005). Sensible heat loss: the broiler's paradox. World's Poultry Science Journal, 61, 419-434.
- Tanny, J., Dviri, R. Svizher, A. and Cohen, J. (2005). The structure of a double-diffusive interface in a laterally-heated enclosure. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 48, 4926-4941.
- Haslavsky, V., Tanny, J., and Teitel, M. (2005). Interaction between the mixing and displacement modes in a naturally-ventilated enclosure Building and Environment, 41:1755-1761.
- Teitel, M, Tanny, J., Ben Yakir, D. and Barak, M. (2005). Airflow patterns through roof openings of a naturally ventilated greenhouse and their effect on insect penetration. Biosystems Engineering, 92(3), 341-353.
- Tanny, J., Haijun, L. and Cohen, S. (2006). Airflow characteristics, energy balance and eddy covariance measurements in a banana screenhouse. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 139, (1-2), 105-118.
- Yakubov, B., Tanny, J., Moalem-Maron, D. and Brauner, N. (2007). The dynamics and structure of a liquid-solid fluidized bed in inclined pipes. Chemical Engineering Journal , 128 (2-3), 105-114.
- Shinder, D., Rusal, M., Tanny, J., Druyan, S. and Yahav, S. (2007). Thermoregulatory responses of chicks (Gallus domesticus) to low ambient temperatures at an early age. Poultry Science, 86 (10), 2200-2209. abstract
- Haijun, L., Cohen, S., Tanny, J., and Guan-hua, H. (2007).Transpiration of banana plant measured by Granier method. Chinese Journal of Applied Ecology, 18 (01), 35-40. (In Chinese) abstract
- Tanny, J., Haslavsky, V. and Teitel, M. (2008). Airflow and heat flux through the vertical opening of buoyancy-induced naturally-ventilated enclosures. Energy and Buildings, 40, 637-646. abstract
- Assouline, S., Tyler, S. W., Tanny, J., Cohen, S., Bou-Zeid, E., Parlange, M. B.and Katul, G. G. (2008). Evaporation from three water bodies of different sizes and climates: measurements and scaling analysis. Advances in Water Resources, 31, 160-172. abstract
- Tanny, J., Cohen, S., Assouline, S., Lange, F., Grava, A., Berger, D., Teltch, B. and Parlange, M. B. (2008). Evaporation from a small water reservoir: direct measurements and estimates. Journal of Hydrology, 351, 218-229. abstract
- Tanny, J. and Cohen, J. (2008). Revisiting the boundary layer structure used in Craig and Gordon's model of isotopic fractionation in evaporation. Isotopes in Environmental and Health Studies, 44(1), pp. 11-21. abstract
- Liu, H.-J., Cohen, S., Tanny, J.,Lemcoff, J. H. and Huang, G.-H. (2008). Transpiration Measurement of Banana (Musa spp. L.) Plants with the Thermal Dissipation Method. Plant and Soil, 308, pp. 227-238. abstract
Teitel, M., Liran, O., Tanny, J.
, Barak, M. (2008). Wind Driven Ventilation of a Mono-Span Greenhouse with a Rose Crop and Continuous Screened Side Vents and its Effect on Flow Patterns and Microclimate. Biosystems Engineering,
101, 111-122. abstract
Liu, H.-J., Cohen, S., Tanny, J.
, Lemcoff, J. H., Huang, G. -H. (2008).
Estimation of Banana (Musa spp. L.) plant transpiration using a standard 20 cm pan in a greenhouse. Irrigation and Drainage Systems
, 22, 311-323. abstract
, Möller, M., Cohen, S. (2009). Aerodynamic properties of boundary layers along screens. Biosystems Engineering
, 102, 171-179. abstract
M. Teitel, D. Dvorkin, Y. Haim, Tanny, J.
, I. Seginer (2009).
Comparison of measured and simulated flow through screens: Effects of screen inclination and porosity. Biosystems Engineering
, 104, 404-416. abstract
, Dicken, U., Cohen, S. (2010). Vertical variation in turbulence statistics and energy balance in a banana screenhouse. Biosystems Engineering
, 106(2), 175-187. abstract
Möller, M., Cohen, S., Pirkner, M., Israeli, Y., and Tanny, J.
Transmission of Short-wave Radiation by Agricultural ScreensBiosystems Engineering
, 107(4), 317-327. abstract
, Cohen, S., Berger, D., Teltch, B., Mekhmandarov, Y., Bahar, M., Katul, G. G. and Assouline, S. (2011). Evaporation from a reservoir with fluctuating water level: correcting for limited fetchJournal of Hydrology
, 404, 146-156. doi:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2011.04.025. abstract
Siqueira, M., Katul, G., Tanny, J.
(2012). The effect of the screen on the mass, momentum, and energy exchange rates of a uniform crop situated in an extensive screenhouse. Boundary-Layer Meteorology
, 142 (3), 339-363. abstract
Dicken, U., Cohen, S., Tanny, J.(2013). Effect of plant development on turbulent fluxes of a screenhouse banana plantation.
Irrigation Science, 31(4), 701-713.
Haijun, L., Yan, L., Tanny, J., Ruihao, Z., Guanhua, H. (2014). Quantitative estimation of climate change effects on potential evapotranspiration in Beijing during 1951-2010. Journal of Geographical Sciences, 24(1), 93-112. http://www.geogsci.com/EN/abstract/abstract4555.shtml.
- Pirkner, M., Tanny, J., Shapira, O., Teitel, M., Cohen, S., Shahak, Y., Israeli, Y. (2014). The effect of screen type on crop micro-climate, reference evapotranspiration and yield of a screenhouse banana plantation. Scientia Horticulturae, 180, 32-39. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304423814005433
- Haijun, L., Cohen, S., Lemcoff, J. H., Israeli, Y., Tanny, J. (2015). Sap flow, canopy conductance and microclimate in a banana screenhouse. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 201, 165-175. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168192314002779
- Teitel, M., Garcia-Teruel, M., Ibanez, P. F., Tanny, J., Laufer, S., Levi, A., Antler, A. (2015). Airflow characteristics and patterns in screenhouses covered with fine-mesh screens with either roof or roof and side ventilation. Biosystems Engineering, 131, 1-14. doi:10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2014.12.010
- Mekhmandarov, Y., Pirkner, M., Achiman, O., Tanny, J. (2015)
Application of the surface-renewal technique in two types of screenhouses: sensible heat flux estimates and turbulence characteristics. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 203, 229-242. doi:10.1016/j.agrformet.2015.01.010
- Duman, T., Tanny, J., Dicken, U., Siqueira, M. B., Katul, G. (2015). Footprint estimation for multi-layered sources and sinks inside canopies in open and protected environments
Boundary-Layer Meteorology,155 (2), 229-248, 10.1007/s10546-014-9999-y.
- Rosa, R., Tanny, J. (2015). Surface renewal and eddy covariance measurements of sensible and latent heat fluxes of cotton during two growing seasons. Biosystems Engineering, 136, 149-161. doi:10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2015.05.012.
Assouline, S., Li, D., Tyler, S., Tanny, J., Cohen, S., Bou-Zeid, E., Parlange, M., Katul, G. (2016). On the variability of the Priestley-Taylor coefficient over water bodies. Water Resources Research, DOI 10.1002/2015WR017504.
W. Baudoin, A. Nersisyan, A. Shamilov, A. Hodder, D.Gutierrez, S. de Pascale, S. Nicola, N. Gruda, L. Urban, J. Tanny (Eds.) (2017). Good Agricultural Practices for greenhouse vegetable production in the South East European countries - Principles for sustainable intensification of smallholder farms. Plant Production and Protection Paper 230, Publisher: FAO, ISBN: 978-92-5-109622-2.
Teitel, M., Liang, H., Tanny, J., Garcia-Teruel, M., Levi, A., Ibanez, P., Alon, H. (2017). Effect of roof height on microclimate and plant characteristics in an insect-proof
screenhouse with impermeable sidewalls
Biosystems Engineering, 162, 11-19.
Lensky, N. G., Lensky, I. M., Peretz, A., Gertman, I., Tanny, J., Assouline, S. (2018).
Diurnal Course of Evaporation from the Dead Sea in Summer: A Distinct Double Peak Induced by Solar Radiation and Night Sea Breeze
Water resources Research, 54, 2018 (150-160)DOI: 10.1002/2017WR021536
- Mor, Z., Assouline, S., Tanny, J., Lensky, I.M. and Lensky, N.G. (2018). Effect of Water Surface Salinity on Evaporation: The Case of a Diluted Buoyant Plume Over the Dead Sea. Water Resour. Res.. Accepted Author Manuscript. doi:10.1002/2017WR021995
- Tanny, J., Lukyanov, V., Neiman, M., Cohen, S., Teitel, M., Seginer, I. (2018). Energy balance and partitioning and vertical profiles of turbulence characteristics during initial growth of a banana plantation in a screenhouse. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 256-257, 53-60.
- Rozenstein, O., Haymann, N., Kaplan, G., Tanny, J. (2018)
Estimating cotton water consumption using a time series of Sentinel-2 imagery. Agricultural Water Management, 207, 44-52.
- I. Hamdani, S. Assouline, J. Tanny, I.M. Lensky, I. Gertman, Z. Mor, N.G. Lensky
Seasonal and diurnal evaporation from a deep hypersaline lake: The Dead Sea as a case study.
J. of Hydrology, 562, 155-167.
- H. Yongguang, N.A. Buttar, J. Tanny, R.L. Snyder, M.J. Savage, I.A. Lakhair
Surface renewal application for estimating evapotranspiration: A review.
Advances in Meteorology, 2018, Article ID 1690714 (11 pages)
- Ori Ahiman, Yonatan Mekhmandarov, Moran Pirkner, and Josef Tanny
Application of the Flux-Variance Technique for Evapotranspiration Estimates in Three Types of
International Journal of Agronomy
Volume 2018, Article ID 7935140, 13 pages
- Ashraf Mahmood, Yongguang Hu, Josef Tanny, Eric Amoah Asante (2018). Effects of shading and insect-proof screens on crop microclimate and production: A review of recent advances. Scientia Horticulturae, 241, 241-251.
- Nazim Gruda, Mehdi Bisbis, Josef Tanny (2019). Impacts of protected vegetable cultivation on climate change and adaptation strategies for cleaner production – a review. Journal of Cleaner Production, 225, 324-339.
- Nazim Gruda, Mehdi Bisbis, Josef Tanny (2019). Influence of climate change on protected cultivation: Impacts and sustainable adaptation strategies-A review. Journal of Cleaner Production, 225, 481-495.
- Nitai Haymann, Victor Lukyanov, Josef Tanny (2019). Effects of variable fetch and footprint on surface renewal measurements of sensible and latent heat fluxes in cotton. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 268, 63-73.
- Noman Ali Buttar, Hu Yongguang, Josef Tanny, M Waqar Akram, and Abdul Shabbir (2019).
Fetch Effect on Flux-Variance Estimations of Sensible and Latent Heat Fluxes of Camellia Sinensis.
Atmosphere, 2019, 10, 299, http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/atmos10060299.
- Cohen P, Shashua-Bar L, Reut K, Gil-Ad R, Yaron Y, Victor L, Kutiel PB, Tanny J, Cohen S, Potchter O, (2019). Urban outdoor thermal perception in hot arid Beer Sheva, Israel:
Methodological and gender aspects, Building and Environment (2019), doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2019.106169.
- Rozenstein O, Haymann N, Kaplan G, Tanny J (2019)
Validation of the cotton crop coefficient estimation model based on Sentinel-2 imagery and eddy covariance measurements
Agricultural Water Management
Volume 223, August 2019, Article ID 105715 (7 pages)
- Teitel, M., Liang, H., Vitoshkin, H., Tanny, J., Ozer, S. (2020)
Airflow patterns and turbulence characteristics above the canopy of a tomato crop in a roof-ventilated insect-proof screenhouse, Biosystems Engineering, 190, 184-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2019.12.001
- S. Cohen, Y. Palatchi, D. Potchter Palatchi, L. Shashua-Bar, V. Lukaynov, Y. Yaakov, A. Matzarakis, J. Tanny, O. Potchter (2020). Mean radiant temperature in urban canyons from solar calculations, climate and surface properties - Theory, validation and 'Mr.T' software. Building and Environment, 178, 2020 (106927)
|Updated on: 14/09/20 08:42|