Open positions for MSc and PhD student
Hadar Arnon (for PhD)
Yael Cohen (for PhD)
Rafael Izhakov (for PhD)
Yevgenia Shebes (for PhD)
Leilah Saidi (for MSc)
Shani Kehila (for MSc)
Dr. Miri Klein
Dr. Anat Phylosoff
Dr. Stella Kiel
Dr. Ilya Shlar
Dr. Eugene Khaskin
Dr. Tania Fadida
Dr. Zhaojun Bun
Dr. Pankaj Rastorgi
Dr. Yonit Boguslavski
1) Natural polymers-based nano-assemblies for rational delivery of active agents
We develop new approaches for modification of natural polymers aiming a formation of assembled structures and nanostructures, which are further implemented for controlled delivery of active agents, such as plant nutrients and biostimulants, signal molecules, protectants and antimicrobials, vitamins, medicines and nutraceuticals.
As a first approach we utilize covalent linkage of rationally selected modifying moieties that induce biopolymers' self-assembly and result in size tunable amphiphilic structures capable for active agents' delivery. The external trigger stimuli lead to a controlled release of the active agents.
We also utilize host-guest interactions to incorporate active agents in natural polymers-based matrices. In this approach oligosaccharides are used as hosting moiety. The resulted nanosized biopolymer matrices benefit good physical and mechanical properties, high active agent content, prolonged release ability and biological activity.
Our third approach is a formation of bulk, micro- and nano- gels with controlled enacpsulation and release ability and capability of selective delivery of specified active agents.
2) Active edible coatings and packages to enhance quality and storability of food and agricultural products
Edible coatings and packages protect agricultural produce from physiological and microbial damage, improve appearance and respond to consumer demand for a more natural food. Our innovation in this area is the utilization of nanotechnologies and Layer-by-Layer approaches to control the coating and package properties. We utilize nanotechnologies to encapsulate antimicrobials, nutraceutics and aroma compounds into package films and coatings. Nanoparticles and nanoemulsions protect agents and allow their delivery and controlled release. In addition, nano-scale systems introduced into the natural film or coatings improve their mechanical and physical properties.
3) Contact-active antimicrobial surfaces and packages
The contact active approach involves durable (usually covalent) attachment of an antimicrobial agent to the material surface. Being surface linked, the antimicrobial agent is not consumed or released, offering an important advantage in terms of human and environmental safety. In addition, the material can be reused contributing to sustainability. Our goal is the development of synthetically simple and general strategies for the attachment of antimicrobial agents to packaging materials and surfaces that are relevant to the food industry
1. Poverenov, E., Gandelman, M. W., Shimon, L. J., Rozenberg, H., Ben-David, Y. and Milstein, D. (2004).
Nucleophilic de-coordination and electrophilic regeneration of hemilabile pincer-type complexes: Formation of anionic dialkyl, diaryl, and dihydride Pt(II)complexes bearing no stabilizing π-acceptors.
Chem. A Eur. J. 10, 4673.
2. Poverenov, E. Leitus, G., Shimon, L. J. W. and Milstein, D. (2005).
C-Metalated diazoalkane complexes of platinum based on PCP-and PCN- ligands.
Organometallics 24, 5937.
3.Gandelman, M., Naing, K. , Rybtchinski, B., Poverenov, E., Ben-David, Y. and Milstein, D. (2005).
A general method for preparation of metal carbenes via solution and polymer-based approaches.
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 127,15265.
4. Poverenov, E. Gandelman, M., Shimon, L.J.W. Rozenberg, H., Ben- David, Y. and Milstein, D. (2005).
"Hemilabile" effect. PCNPt(II) with different amine Arm Length".
Organometallics 24, 1082.
5. Poverenov, E., Leitus, G. and Milstein, D. (2006).
Synthesis and reactivity of the methylene arenium form of a benzyl cation, stabilized by complexation.
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 128, 16450.
6. Schwartsburd, L., Poverenov, E. Shimon, L. J. W. and Milstein, D (2007).
Naphthyl-based PCP platinum complexes.
Organometallics 26, 2931-2936.
7. Vuzman, D., Poverenov, E., Leitus, G., Shimon, L. J. W. and Milstein, D. (2007).
Reactivity and stability of platinum (II) formyl.
Dalton Trans. 48, 5692-5700.
8. Poverenov, E., Shimon, L. J. W. and Milstein, D. (2007).
Quinone methide generation based on a cis-(N,N) platinum complex.
Organometallics 26, 2178.
9. Poverenov, E. and Milstein, D. (2007).
Formation of transition metal carbenes using haloalkylzinc reagents.
Chem. Comm. 30, 3189.
10.Vuzman, D., Poverenov, E., Shimon, L. J. W., Diskin-Posner, Y. and Milstein, D (2008). Platinum(II) complexes based on an electron-rich PNN ligand.
Organometallics 27, 2627.
11. Poverenov, E., Efremenko, I., Frenkel, A., Ben-David, Y., Shimon, L. J. W., Leitus, G., Martin, J. M. L., Konstantinovsky, L., and Milstein, D. (2008).
Evidence for a terminal Pt (iv)-oxo complex exhibiting diverse reactivity.
Nature 455, 1093.
12. Poverenov, E., Gandelman, M., Milstein, D. (2010).
Selective formation and reactivity of Pt(II) methyl hydride.
Eur. J. Inorg. Chem. 13, 1991.
13. Poverenov, E., Li, M., Bendikov, M. (2010).
The effect of electropolymerization conditions on properties of PEDOT films.
Chem. Mater. 22, 4019.
14. Poverenov, E., Zamochshik, N., Bendikov, M. (2012).
Flat conjugated polymers combining a relatively low HOMO energy level and band gap: Polyselenophenes versus polythiophenes.
J. Mater, Chem. 22, 14645.
15. Poverenov, E., Efremenko, I., Leitus , G., Martin, J. M. L. and Milstein, D. (2013).
Benzyl cation stabilized by metal complexation. Relative stability of coordinated methylene arenium, π-benzylic and σ-benzylic structures.
Organometallics 32, 4813.
16. Poverenov, E. and Milstein, D. (2013).
Non-innocent behavior of PCP and PCN pincer ligands of late metal complexes in organometallic pincer chemistry.
Top. Organomet. Chem. 40, 21.
17. Poverenov, E.,** Shemesh, M., Gulino, A., Zakin, V., Yefremov, T. S and Granit, R. S (2013).
Durable contact active antimicrobial materials formed by a one-step covalent modification of polyvinyl alcohol, cellulose and glass surfaces.
Colloids and Surfaces B. 112, 356. .
18. Arnon , H., S Porat, R., Zaitsev , Y. S and Poverenov, E.** (2014).
Effects of carboxymethyl cellulose and chitosan bilayer edible coating on postharvest quality of citrus fruit.
Postharvest Biol. Technol. 87, 21.
19. Poverenov, E.,** Danino , S., S Horev, B., Granit, R., S Vinokur, Y. and Rodov, V. (2014).
Layer-by-Layer electrostatic deposition of edible coating on fresh cut melon model: anticipated and unexpected effects of alginate-chitosan combination.
Food Bioprocess Techn. 7, 1424.
20. Poverenov, E.,** Zamochshik, N., Patra, A., Ridelman, I. and Bendikov, M. (2014).
Unusual doping of donor-acceptor-type conjugated polymers using lewis acids.
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 136, 5138.
21. Poverenov, E.,** Zaitsev , Y., S Arnon , H., S Granit, R., S Perzelan, Y. and Fallik, E. (2014).
Effects of a composite chitosan-gelatin edible coating on postharvest quality and storability of red bell peppers.
Postharvest Biol. Technol. 96, 106.
22. Poverenov, E.,** Rutenberg , R., S Danino , S., Horev, B. and Rodov, V. (2014).
Gelatin-chitosan composite films and edible coatings to enhance the quality of food products: Layer by Layer vs. blended formulations.
Food Bioprocess Techn. 214, 3319.
23. FadidaS, T., Kroupitski, Y., Peiper, U. M., Bendikov, T., Sela, S. and Poverenov, E** (2014).
Air-ozonolysis to generate contact active antimicrobial surfaces: Activation of polyethylene and polystyrene followed by covalent graft of quaternary ammonium salts.
Colloids and Surfaces B. 122, 294.
24. Arnon S, H., Granit, R., S Porat, R., and Poverenov, E.** (2015).
Development of polysaccharides-based edible coatings for citrus fruits: a Layer-by-Layer approach. Food Chem., 166, 465.
25. Shlar, I., Poverenov, E., Vinokur, Y., Horev, B., Droby, S. and Rodov, V (2015).
High-throughput screening of nanoparticle-stabilizing ligands: application to preparing antimicrobial curcumin nanoparticles by antisolvent precipitation.
Nano-Micro Letters, 7, 68.
26. FadidaS, T., Selilat-Weiss , A. S and Poverenov, E** (2015)
N-hexylimine-chitosan, a biodegradable and covalently stabilized source of volatile, antimicrobial hexanal. Next generation controlled-release system.
Food Hydrocolloids, 48, 213.
27. Khaskin, E.,S Fadida, T., S Kroupitski, Y., Shemesh, M., Gulini, A. and Poverenov, E.** (2015).
A contact active bactericidial stainless steel via a sustainable process utilizing electrodeposition and covalent attachment in water.
Green Chem., 17, 2344.
28. Rutenberg, R.,S Bernstein, S., Paster, N., Fallik, E. and Poverenov, E.** (2016).
Antimicrobial Films Based on Cellulose-Derived Hydrocolloids. A Synergetic Effect of Host-Guest Interactions on Quality and Functionality.
Colloids and Surfaces B, 137, 138.
29. Rutenberg, R.,S Leytus, G., Fallik, E. and Poverenov, E.** (2016).
Discovery of a non-classic host guest complexation mode in a b-cyclodextrin/propionic acid model.
Chem.Commun., 52, 2565.
30. Buslovich, A. S Horev, B. Rodov, V. Gedanken A. and Poverenov E.** (2017).
One-step surface grafting of organic nanoparticles: in situ deposition of antimicrobial agents vanillin and chitosan on polyethylene packaging films.
J. Mater. Chem. B, 5, 2655-2661.
31. Bilbao-Sainz, C., Chiou, B.-S., Williams, T., Wood, D., Du, W.-X., Sedej, I.; Ban, Z., Vinokur, Y., Rodov, V., Poverenov, E. and McHugh, T. (2017).
Vitamin D-fortified chitosan films from mushroom waste.
Carbohydrate Polym. 16, 97.
32. Lu, H., Ban, Z., Wang, K., Li, D. Li, D., Poverenov, E., Li, L. and Luo, Z. (2017).
Aroma volatiles, sensory, and chemical attributes of strawberry (Fragaria×ananassa Duch.) achenes and receptacle. Int. J. Food Sci. Techn. 52, 2614-2622.
33. Rutenberg, R, S Bernstein, S. Fallik, E., Paster, N. and Poverenov, E.** (2018).
The improvement of propionic acid safety and use during the preservation of stored grains.
Crop Protection.110, 191-917.
34. Yana, J., Ban, Z., Lu, H., Li, D., Poverenov, E., Li, L. and Luo, Z (2018).
The aroma volatile repertoire in strawberry fruit: a review.
J. Sci. Food Agr. 98, 4395-4402.
35. Golden, G., S Quinna, E., Shaaya, E., Kostyukovsky, M. and Poverenov, E.** (2018).
Coarse and nano emulsions for effective delivery of natural pest control agent pulegone for stored grain protection.
Pest Management Sci.74, 820-827.
36. Buslovich, A., S Horev, B., Shebis, Y., S Rodov, V., Gedanken, A. and Poverenov, E.** (2018)
Facile method for the deposition of volatile natural compound-based nanoparticles on biodegradable polymer surfaces.
J. Mater. Chem. B, 6, 2240-2249.
37. Ban, Z.,S Horev, B, Rutenberg, R, Danay, O, Bilbao, C, McHugh, T, Rodov, V. and Poverenov, E** (2018).
Efficient production of fungal chitosan utilizing an advanced freeze-thawing method; quality and activity studies.
Food Hydrocolloids, 81, 380-388.
38. Bilbao-Sainz, C., Chiou, B.-S., Punotai, K., Olson, D., Williams, T.; Wood, D., Rodov, V., Poverenov, E. and McHugh. T. (2018).
Layer-by-layer alginate and fungal chitosan based edible coatings applied to fruit bars. J. Food Science. 83, 1880-1887.
39. Poverenov, E.,** Arnon, H. Zaicev, S Y. Bar, S V. Danay, O. Horev, B., Bilbao-Sainz, C., McHugh, T. Rodov, V. (2018).
Potential of chitosan from mushroom waste to enhance quality and storability of fresh-cut melons. Food Chemistry, 263, 233-241.
40. Boguslavcki, Y., S Shemesh, M., Friedlander, A., Rutenberg, R., Molad Filossof, A., Buslovich, A., Poverenov, E.** (2018).
Eliminating the Need for Biocidal Agents in Anti-Biofouling Polymers by Applying Grafted Nanosilica Instead.
ACS Omega, 3, 12437-12445
41. Rutenberg, R,S Golden, Cohen, Y., G., Kleiman, M., Poverenov, E.** (2018).
Investigation of The Substituent Effect in Modified Nature-Sourced Polymers; Rational Side Chain Engineering to Control Yield, Design, and Properties
ACS Omega. 3, 12841-12850.
42. Rutenberg, R.,S Galaktionova, D., Golden, G., Cohen, Y., Levi-Kalisman, Y., Cohen, G., Král, P., Poverenov, E.** (2018)
Omniphilic Polysaccharide-Based Nanocarriers for a Modular Molecular Delivery in a Broad Range of Bio-Systems.
ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 10, 36711-36720
43. Arnon-Rips, H., S Porat, R., Poverenov, E.,** (2019).
Enhancement of agricultural produce quality and storability using citral-based edible coatings; the valuable effect of nano-emulsification in a solid-state delivery.
Food Chemistry. 277, 205-212
1. Arnon-Rips, H.S and Poverenov, E.** (2018).
Layer-by-Layer Edible Coatings to Improve Quality and Storability of Food Products.
Trends in Food Sci. Technol. 75, 81-92.
2. Poverenov, E.** and Klein M. (2018).
Formation of contact active antimicrobial surfaces by covalent grafting of quaternary ammonium compounds .
Colloids and Surfaces B., 169, 195-205.
1. Poverenov, E. and Milstein, D. (2009).
Quinone methide stabilization by metal complexation.
In Reactive Intermediates Chemistry and Biology. (S.E. Rokita ed.)
Publisher John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, USA.
2. Arnon-Rips, H.,S Porat, R., Poverenov, E.** (2016).
Biopolymers-embeded nanoemulsions and other nanotechnological approaches for safety, quality and storability enhancement of food products: active edible coatings and films. In Emulsions. (A.M. Grumezescu, ed.), Publisher Elsevier Academic Press. Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.