Fields of Scientific Interest:
- Fruit growth and development
- Fruit quality
- Control of alternate bearing
- Practical aspects of citriculture
Current Research Projects:
Current Lab Members and Their Projects
Ludmila Schlizerman , Ms.C., Laboratory Research Engineer, Fruit acidity and Citrus flowering
Naftali Zur , Field Technician, Photoselective nets and plastic mulches in the orchard
Prof. Vijay Bahadur,, India, Alternate bearing
Liron Shalom , Ph.D. Student, Alternate bearing
Yasmin Levi, , M.Sc. Student, Alternate bearing
Deriba Nemara, , M.Sc. Student, Photoselective nets
Past Lab Members
Dr. Ran Kapri, Ph.D. Student
Dr. Ken Marsh, Visiting Scientist from New Zeland
Dr. Yong-Zhong Liu, Visiing Scientist from China
Dr. Ming Dong, Visiting Scholar
Dr. Sham Prakash, Pot Doctoral Fellow
Mr. Gabriel Bardosh, M.Sc. Student
- Ms. Alina Sorkina, M.Sc. Student
- Ms. Ravit Goldberg-Moeller, M.Sc. Student
Mr. Adi Mondshein, M.Sc. Student
Mr. Yishai Wachsmann, M.Sc. Student
Mr. Shmuel Kalderon, M.Sc. Student
Mr. Asfaw Degu, M.Sc. Student
Ms. Ifat Bar-Haim, M.Sc. Student
Ms. Sivan Samuels, M.Sc. Student
Mrs. Esther Dahan, Lab Technichian
Dr. Puneet Dhwan, Visiting Scholar
Publications, since 2010
1. Katz, E.PD, Fon, M.T, Eigenheer, R.A.T, Phinney, B.S.C, Sadka, A.PI and Blumwald, E.PI (2010). A label-free differential quantitative mass spectrometry method for the characterization and identification of protein changes during citrus fruit development. Proteome Sci. 8, 68. 2.56; 35/71 (Biochemical Res. Meth.); 34; (This was part of BARD project I acted in as PI. I co-mentored EK).
2. Degu, A.S, Hatew, B.S, Nunes-Nesi, A.PD, Schlizerman, L.T, Zur, N.T, Katz, E.PD, Fernie, A.R.C, Blumwald, E.C and Sadka, A.PI (2011). Inhibition of aconitase in citrus fruit callus results in a metabolic shift towards amino acid biosynthesis. Planta 234, 501-513. 3.00; 32/190 (Plant Sciences); 27
3. Katz, E.PD, Boo, K.H.PD, Kim, H.Y.PD, Eigenheer, R.A.PD, Phinney, B.S.C, Shulaev, V.C, Negre-Zakharov, F.T, Sadka, A.PI and Blumwald, E.PI (2011). Label-free shotgun proteomics and metabolite analysis reveal a significant metabolic shift during Citrus fruit development. J. Exp. Botany 62:5367-5384. 5.36; 11/190 (Plant Sciences); 46 (This was part of BARD project I acted in as PI. I co-mentored EK).
4. Sorkina, A.S, Bardosh, G.S, Liu, Y-Z., Fridman, I.S, Shlizerman, L.T, Zur, N.T, Or, E.C, Goldschmidt, E.E.C, Blumwald, E.C and Sadka, A.C (2011). Isolation of a citrus promoter and its functional analysis in isolated juice sacs and in tomato. Plant Cell Rep. 30:1627-1640. 2.27; 55/190 (Plant sciences); 7
5. Shalom, L.S, Samuels, S.S, Zur, N.T, Shlizerman, L.T, Zemach, H.T, Ofir, R.C, Blumwald, E.C and Sadka, A.PI (2012). Alternate bearing in citrus: changes in the expression of flowering control genes and in global gene expression in ON- versus OFF-crop trees. PLOS ONE, 7(10): e46930. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0046930, 3.73; 7/56 (Multidisciplinary); 39
6. Goldberg-Moeller, R.S, Shalom, L.S, Shlizerman, L.S, Samuels, S.S, Zur, N.T, Ophir, R.C, Blumwald, E.C and Sadka, A.PI (2013). Effect of gibberellin treatment during flowering induction period on global gene expression and transcription of flowering-control genes in Citrus buds. Plant Sci. 198: 46–57. 4.11; 19/199 (Plant Sciences); 46
7. Sabag, M.S, Ben-Ari, G.C, Zviran, T.C, Biton, I.T, Goren, M. T, Dahan, Y.T, Sadka, A. C and Irihimovitch, V.PI (2013). PaKRP, a cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor from avocado, may facilitate exit from the cell cycle during fruit growth. Plant Sci. 213: 18-29. 4.11; 19/199 (Plant Sciences); 3
8. Shalom, L.S, Samuels, S.S, Zur, N.T, Shlizerman, L.T, Faigenboim, A.T, Blumwald, E.C and Sadka, A.PI (2014). Fruit load induces changes in global gene expression and in ABA and IAA homeostasis in citrus buds. J. Exp. Bot. 6: 3029-3044. 5.52; 12/204 (Plant Sciences); 32
9. Kim, H-YS, Farcuh, M. S, Cohen, Y.C, Crisosto, C.C, Sadka, A. C and Blumwald, EPI. (2015). Non-climacteric ripening and sorbitol homeostasis in plum fruits.
Plant Science 231: 30-39. 3.36; 31/209 (Plant Sciences); 8
10. Shalom, L.S, Shlizerman, L.T, Zur. N.T, Doron-Faingenboim, A.T, Blumwald, E.C and Sadka, A.PI (2015). Molecular cauterization of SQUAMOSA PROMOTER BINDING ROTEIN-like (SPL) gene family from Citrus and the effect of fruit load on their expression. Front. Plant Sci. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2015.00389. 4.49; 15/209 (Plant Sciences); 18
11. Kim, H-Y,S, Saha, P.PD, Farcuh, M.S, Li, B.PD, Sadka, A.C, Blumwald, E.PI (2015). RNA-seq analysis of spatiotemporal gene expression patterns during plum fruit development reveals candidate genes for transcript normalization using quantitative Real-Time PCR. Plant Mol. Biol. Rep. 33, 1634-1649. 3.03; 35/209 (Plant Sciences); 8
12. Zur, N.T, Shlizerman, L.T, Ben-Ari, G.C and Sadka, A.PI (2016). Use of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to study and predict fruit splitting in citrus. Hort. J. (formally: J. Japan. Soc. Hort. Sci). 86: 151-158. 0.974; 12/36 (Horticulture); 11
13. Farcuh, M.S, Li, B.PD, Rivero, R.M.C, Shlizerman, L.T, Sadka, A.PI and Blumwald, E.PI (2017). Sugar metabolism reprograming in a non-climacteric bud mutant of a climacteric plum fruit during on-the-tree development. J. Exp. Bot. 16, 5813-5828. 5.52; 12/204; (Plant Sciences); 2 (during my sabbatical leave, I co-supervised MF in organizing the data, its interpretation and writing the paper)
14. Paudel, I.S, Cohen, S.PI, Shlizerman, L.T, Jaiswal, A.K.S, Shaviv, A.C and Sadka, A.PI (2017). Reductions in root hydraulic conductivity in response to clay soil and treated waste water are related to PIPs down-regulation in Citrus. Sci. Rep. 7, 15429 DOI:10.1038/s41598-017-15762-2. 4.25; 10/64; (Multidisciplinary); 2
15. Farcuh, M.S, Rivero, R.M.C, Sadka, A.PI and Blumwald, E.PI (2018). Ethylene regulation of sugar metabolism in climacteric and non-climacteric plums. Postharv. Biol. Technol. 139, 20-30; 3.24; 9/83; (Agronomy); 6 (during my sabbatical leave, I co-supervised MF in organizing the data, its interpretation and writing the paper); 6
16. Zhoua, K.S, Jerszurkia, D.C, Sadka, A.C, Shlizerman, L.T, Rachmilevitch, S.C and Ephrath, J.PI (2018). Effects of photoselective netting on root growth and development of young grafted orange trees under semi-arid climate. Sci. Horticult. 238, 272–280. 1.96; 5/36 (Horticulture); 3
17. Farcuh, M.S, Toubiana, D.PD, Sade, N.PD, Rivero, R.M.C, Doron-Faigenboim, Adi.T, Nambara, E.C, Sadka, A.PI, Blumwald, E.PI (2019). Hormone balance in a climacteric plum fruit and its non-climacteric bud mutant during ripening. Plant Science, 280, 51-65. Category: Plant Sciences; 3.78; 28/228 (Plant Sciences); 1 (during my sabbatical leave, I co-supervised MF in organizing the data, its interpretation and writing the paper)
18. Kumar, L.S, Reut ,P.T, Lyudmila, S.T, Sagit, M.T, Doron-Faigenboim, A.T, Sadka, A.C; Aharoni A.C and Flaishman, M.PI (2019). Tissue-specific organic acid metabolism in reproductive and non-reproductive parts of the fig fruit is partially induced by pollination. Physiol Plantarum, https://doi.org/10.1111/ppl.12941. 3.0; 48/228 (Plant Sciences); 0
19. Sadka, A.PI, Qin, Q.C, Feng, J.C, Farcuh, M.S, Shlizerman, L.T, Zhang, Y.S, Toubiana, D.PD and Blumwald, E.PI (2019). Ethylene Response of Plum ACC Synthase 1 (ACS1) Promoter is Mediated through the Binding Site of Abscisic Acid Insensitive 5 (ABI5). Plants, doi: 10.3390/plants8050117. 2.63; 59/228 (Plant Sciences); 0
20. Toubiana, DPD. Puzis, R.T Sadka, A.C and Blumwald, E.PI (2019). A Genetic Algorithm to optimize weighted gene co-expression network analysis. J Comput Biol, DOI: 10.1089/cmb.2019.0221. 0.789; 76/123 (Statistics and Probability); 0
Reviews and Book Chapters
1. Hussain, S.B., Shi, C-Y, Guo, L-X, Kamran, H.M., Sadka A. and Liu, Y-Z (2017).Recent Advances in the Regulation of Citric Acid Metabolism in Citrus Fruit
Critical Rev Plant Sci, 36, 241-256.
2. Francisco R., T., Javier, T., María, R. J., Concetta, L. and Sadka, A. (2019). Fruit growth and development. In: The Genus Citrus - From Genomes to Orchards to Consumers (F. Gmitter, M. Talon, M. Caruso, eds.), 1st Edition, Elsevier.
3. Sadka, A., Shlizerman, L., Kamara, I. and Blumwald, E. (2019) Primary metabolism in citrus fruit as affected by its unique structure. Front Plant Sci, 10, https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2019.01167
Other Articles (Hebrew and Symposia Proceedings)
1. Porat, R.PI, Raveh, E.C, Sadka, A.C and Carmi, N.C (2011).The origin of citrus and the genetic relationss between different cultivars. Et Hahadar 78:21-22 (in Hebrew).
2. Waxman, Y.S, Ratner, K.T, Shlizerman, L.T, Giler, Y.T, Shahak, Y.C, Cohen, S.PI, Garbachnikov, V.T, Giladi, B.T, Feichak, M.C and Sadka, A.PI (2012). Colored nets as a tool to mitigate the microclimate in the orchard. Alon Hanotea 66:44-48 (in Hebrew).
3. Wachsmann, Y.S, Zur, N.T, Shahak, Y.C, Cohen, S.PI, Ratner, R.T, Giler, Y.T, Schlizerman, L.T, Giladi, B.T, Faintzak, M.C, Kanonich, S.C and Sadka, A.PI (2012). Photoselective, anti-hail, netting for improved citrus productivity and quality. Acta Hort 1015:169-176.
4. Sadka, A.PI (2013). Fruit favor and aroma, sympoia report. Et Hahadar, 95:9-12 (in Hebrew).
5. Sadka, A.PI, Shlizerman, L.T, Morozov, M.T, Kamara, I.T, Ben-Tovim, Y.T and Grinberg, Y.C (2019). Giberellin tretamnet during flpowering bloom, still the holy grail of citrus productivity. Et Hehadar, 136, 6-8 (in Hebrew).
6. Dovjek, I.S, Nemera, D.B.S, Wachsmann, Y.S, Shlizerman, L.T, Ratner, K.T, Kamara, I.T, Morozov, M.T, Charuvi, D.C, Shahak, Y.C, Cohen, S.PI, and Sadka, A.PI (2019). Top netting as a practical tool to mitigate the effect of climate change and induce productivity in citrus: summary of experiments using photo-selective nets. Acta Hort, In Press
Netting experiment, 2013 harvest