|Research Interests / Job description|
||Agricultural meteorology; Crop water consumption; Microclimate in agricultural buildings; Properties of wind above and inside vegetated canopies; Eddy covariance and other turbulent transport measurements of surface fluxes; Evaporation processes; Natural ventilation of buildings; Double-diffusive convection; Free convection flows; Turbulent flows; Experimental methods in fluid mechanics, meteorology and heat transfer.
- B. Sc., Mechanical Engineering, Tel Aviv University
- M. Sc., Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer, Tel Aviv University
- Ph. D., Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer, Tel Aviv University
Current and Recent Projects
- Application of turbulent transport techniques (eddy covariance, surface renewal, flux variance) for quantitative whole canopy evapotranspiration estimates in large agricultural structures: measurements and theory.
- Optimization of covering banana plantations with screens: the effect of the screen texture on the water consumption, microclimate, growth and yield.
- Optimization of screen constructions for shading fruit trees.
- Evaporation from water reservoirs: direct measurements and modeling.
- Improving the evapotranspiration estimation of orchards and vegetable crops covered with screens.
- Real-time measurements of water consumption of processing tomato and cotton in the Hula valley using the surface renewal technique.
- Effect of vegetation on urban micro-climate.
- Application of the Surface Renewal technique for evapotranspiration estimates in small plots in screenhouses and open fields.
Current and Past Students
Uri Dicken - Ph. D. - The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Completed, April 2013).
Michael Bahar - M. Sc. - Tel Aviv University (Completed April 2013).
Rafael Rosa - M. Sc. - The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Completed, June 2012).
Moran Pirkner - M. Sc. - The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Completed, March 2013).
Yoni Mekhmandarov - M. Sc. - Tel Aviv University (Completed, May 2014).
Ori Achiman - M. Sc. - The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
Alessandra Pavoncello - Ph. D. - Tel Aviv University.
- Tanny, J. and Shlien, D.J. (1985).Velocity field measurements of a laminar starting plume, Physics of Fluids 28(4), pp.1027-1032. picture of plume
- Tanny, J. and Tsinober, A. (1988).The dynamics and structure of double-diffusive layers in side wall heating experiments, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 196, pp.135-156. picture of layers
- Tanny, J., and Tsinober, A. (1989). On the Behavior of a System of Double-Diffusive Layers during its Evolution Physics of Fluids A, 1(3), pp. 606-609.
- Tanny, J., Kerpel, J., and Tsinober, A. (1989). On the layered structure in a stable solute gradient heated from below, Experiments in Fluids, 8, pp.161-164.
- Harel, Z., Tanny, J., and Tsinober, A. (1989). Double Diffusive Phenomena in a Stratified Fluid Close to Saturation, Journal of Physico-Chemical Hydrodynamics (PCH), 11 (5/6), pp.703-713.
- Naot, D., Peled, A, and Tanny, J. (1990). Response of Shear Flow Turbulence to Diffusional Electromagnetic Fluctuations, Applied Mathematical Modeling, 14, pp.226-236.
- Chai, A., Kit, E., Tanny, J. (1990). Simultaneous Visualization of Density and Velocity Variations in a Stratified Shear Flow, Experiments in Fluids, 9, pp.107-109.
- Kerpel, J., Tanny, J., Tsinober, A. (1991) On a Stable Solute Gradient Heated from Below with Prescribed Temperature, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 223, pp.83-91.
- Tanny, J., Chai, A. (1991). Hydrogen Bubble Visualization of a Sheared Density Interface, Experiments in Fluids, 10(5), pp. 296-298.
- Kerpel, J., Tanny, J. and Tsinober, A. (1992). On the secondary layers in a stable solute gradient heated from below, Fluid Dynamics Research, 10, pp. 141-147.
- Harel, Z., Tanny, J. and Tsinober, A. (1993). The equilibrium solar pond - a laboratory model for the gradient layer, ASME Journal of Solar Energy Engineering,115, pp. 32-36.
- Chai, A., Tanny, J. and Kit, E. (1993). Experimental investigation of turbulent entrainment in an annulus with moving sidewalls, Experiments in Fluids, 15, pp. 97-107. picture
- Tanny, J., Chai, A. and Kit, E. (1995). On the Law of Turbulent Entrainment across a Density Interface, Fluid Dynamics Research, 15(1), pp. 69-74.
- Tanny, J. (1995). Experimental study on the crystallization of a binary melt at the vertical boundary of an enclosure, The International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol.38, No.7, pp. 1141-1150.
- Tanny, J. and Gotlib, V. A. (1995). Linear stability of a Double Diffusive Layer with Variable Fluid Properties, The International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol.38, No.9, pp. 1683-1691.
- Tanny, J., Chen, C. C. and Chen, C. F. (1995). Effects of interaction between Marangoni and double-diffusive instabilities, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 303, pp. 1-21. Corrigendum published in: J. Fluid Mechanics, Vol.318, pp. 406-407, 1996.
- Krizhevsky, L., Cohen, J. and Tanny, J. (1996). Convective and absolute instabilities of a buoyancy-induced flow in a thermally stratified medium, Physics of Fluids, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 971-977.
- Teitel, M. and Tanny, J. (1996). A note on energy saving in heated enclosures, Building and Environment, Vol.31, No.6, pp. 537-540.
- Teitel, M. and Tanny, J. (1998). Radiative heat transfer from heating tubes in a greenhouse, Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research, Vol. 69, pp. 185-188.
- Tanny, J., and Cohen, J. (1998). The mean temperature field of a buoyancy-induced boundary layer adjacent to a vertical plate immersed in a stratified medium, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 41 (14), pp. 2125-2130.
- Tanny, J. and Teitel, M. (1998). Efficient utilization of energy in buildings and ponds, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 18 (11), pp. 1111-1119.
- Tanny, J. and Yakubov, B. (1999). Experimental study of a double diffusive two-layer system in a laterally heated enclosure, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 42, No. 19, pp. 3619-3629. picture
- Teitel, M. and Tanny, J. (1999). Natural ventilation of greenhouses: experiments and model, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 96, pp.59-70.
- Ashkenazi, A. and Tanny, J. (2000). Vacuum transparent insulation for visualization of solidification experiments, Experiments in Fluids, 28(5), pp. 482-484.
- Tanny, J. and Yakubov, B. (2002). The effect of layer depth on mixing in a double diffusive two-layer system, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 45(10), pp. 2101-2105.
- Tanny, J. and Cohen, S. (2003). The effect of a small shade net on the properties of wind and selected boundary layer parameters above and within a citrus orchard, Biosystems Engineering, Vol. 84(1), pp. 57-67.
- Tanny, J., Cohen, S. and Teitel, M.(2003). Screenhouse microclimate and ventilation: an experimental study, Biosystems Engineering, Vol. 84(3), pp. 331-341.
- Kelley, D. E., Fernando, H. J. S., Gargett, A. E., Tanny, J. and Ozsoy, E.(2003). The diffusive regime of double diffusive convection, Progress in Oceanography, Vol. 56, pp. 461-481.
- Yahav, S., Straschnow, A., Luger, D., Shinder, D., Tanny, J. and Cohen, S. (2004). Ventilation, sensible heat loss and broiler energy and water balance under harsh environmental conditions Poultry Science,Vol. 83(2), pp. 253-258.
- Moller, M., Tanny, J., Li, Y. and Cohen, S. (2004). Measuring and predicting evapotranspiration in an insect-proof screenhouse. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 127, 35-51.
- Teitel, M. and Tanny, J. (2005). Turbulent transport of scalars through roof windows in a naturally ventilated enclosure. Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, 74, 21-47.
- Yahav, S., Shinder, D., Tanny, J. and Cohen, S. (2005). Sensible heat loss: the broiler's paradox. World's Poultry Science Journal, 61, 419-434.
- Tanny, J., Dviri, R. Svizher, A. and Cohen, J. (2005). The structure of a double-diffusive interface in a laterally-heated enclosure. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 48, 4926-4941.
- Haslavsky, V., Tanny, J., and Teitel, M. (2005). Interaction between the mixing and displacement modes in a naturally-ventilated enclosure Building and Environment, 41:1755-1761.
- Teitel, M, Tanny, J., Ben Yakir, D. and Barak, M. (2005). Airflow patterns through roof openings of a naturally ventilated greenhouse and their effect on insect penetration. Biosystems Engineering, 92(3), 341-353.
- Tanny, J., Haijun, L. and Cohen, S. (2006). Airflow characteristics, energy balance and eddy covariance measurements in a banana screenhouse. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 139, (1-2), 105-118.
- Yakubov, B., Tanny, J., Moalem-Maron, D. and Brauner, N. (2007). The dynamics and structure of a liquid-solid fluidized bed in inclined pipes. Chemical Engineering Journal , 128 (2-3), 105-114.
- Shinder, D., Rusal, M., Tanny, J., Druyan, S. and Yahav, S. (2007). Thermoregulatory responses of chicks (Gallus domesticus) to low ambient temperatures at an early age. Poultry Science, 86 (10), 2200-2209. abstract
- Haijun, L., Cohen, S., Tanny, J., and Guan-hua, H. (2007).Transpiration of banana plant measured by Granier method. Chinese Journal of Applied Ecology, 18 (01), 35-40. (In Chinese) abstract
- Tanny, J., Haslavsky, V. and Teitel, M. (2008). Airflow and heat flux through the vertical opening of buoyancy-induced naturally-ventilated enclosures. Energy and Buildings, 40, 637-646. abstract
- Assouline, S., Tyler, S. W., Tanny, J., Cohen, S., Bou-Zeid, E., Parlange, M. B.and Katul, G. G. (2008). Evaporation from three water bodies of different sizes and climates: measurements and scaling analysis. Advances in Water Resources, 31, 160-172. abstract
- Tanny, J., Cohen, S., Assouline, S., Lange, F., Grava, A., Berger, D., Teltch, B. and Parlange, M. B. (2008). Evaporation from a small water reservoir: direct measurements and estimates. Journal of Hydrology, 351, 218-229. abstract
- Tanny, J. and Cohen, J. (2008). Revisiting the boundary layer structure used in Craig and Gordon's model of isotopic fractionation in evaporation. Isotopes in Environmental and Health Studies, 44(1), pp. 11-21. abstract
- Liu, H.-J., Cohen, S., Tanny, J.,Lemcoff, J. H. and Huang, G.-H. (2008). Transpiration Measurement of Banana (Musa spp. L.) Plants with the Thermal Dissipation Method. Plant and Soil, 308, pp. 227-238. abstract
Teitel, M., Liran, O., Tanny, J.
, Barak, M. (2008). Wind Driven Ventilation of a Mono-Span Greenhouse with a Rose Crop and Continuous Screened Side Vents and its Effect on Flow Patterns and Microclimate. Biosystems Engineering,
101, 111-122. abstract
Liu, H.-J., Cohen, S., Tanny, J.
, Lemcoff, J. H., Huang, G. -H. (2008).
Estimation of Banana (Musa spp. L.) plant transpiration using a standard 20 cm pan in a greenhouse. Irrigation and Drainage Systems
, 22, 311-323. abstract
, Möller, M., Cohen, S. (2009). Aerodynamic properties of boundary layers along screens. Biosystems Engineering
, 102, 171-179. abstract
M. Teitel, D. Dvorkin, Y. Haim, Tanny, J.
, I. Seginer (2009).
Comparison of measured and simulated flow through screens: Effects of screen inclination and porosity. Biosystems Engineering
, 104, 404-416. abstract
, Dicken, U., Cohen, S. (2010). Vertical variation in turbulence statistics and energy balance in a banana screenhouse. Biosystems Engineering
, 106(2), 175-187. abstract
Möller, M., Cohen, S., Pirkner, M., Israeli, Y., and Tanny, J.
Transmission of Short-wave Radiation by Agricultural ScreensBiosystems Engineering
, 107(4), 317-327. abstract
, Cohen, S., Berger, D., Teltch, B., Mekhmandarov, Y., Bahar, M., Katul, G. G. and Assouline, S. (2011). Evaporation from a reservoir with fluctuating water level: correcting for limited fetchJournal of Hydrology
, 404, 146-156. doi:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2011.04.025. abstract
Siqueira, M., Katul, G., Tanny, J.
(2012). The effect of the screen on the mass, momentum, and energy exchange rates of a uniform crop situated in an extensive screenhouse. Boundary-Layer Meteorology
, 142 (3), 339-363. abstract
Dicken, U., Cohen, S., Tanny, J.(2013). Effect of plant development on turbulent fluxes of a screenhouse banana plantation.
Irrigation Science, 31(4), 701-713.
Haijun, L., Yan, L., Tanny, J., Ruihao, Z., Guanhua, H. (2014). Quantitative estimation of climate change effects on potential evapotranspiration in Beijing during 1951-2010. Journal of Geographical Sciences, 24(1), 93-112. http://www.geogsci.com/EN/abstract/abstract4555.shtml.
|Updated on: 29/07/14 17:23|