Mammary gland biology
Leptin: the receptor and the hormone in peripheral tissues of the dairy cow. Recent Publications
- Shamay, A., Mabjeesh, S.J., Shapiro, F. and Silanikove, N (2000). ACTH and dexamethsone failed to affect milk yield in dairy goats: comparative aspects. Small Ruminant Res. 38:255-259.
- Shamay, A., Shapiro, F., Barash, H., Bruckental, I. and Silanikove,N. (2000). Effect of dexamethasone on milk yield and composition in dairy cows. Annales Zootec. 49:343-352.
- Silanikove, N. Shamay, A., Shinder, D. and Moran, A. (2000). Stress down regulates milk production by a plasmin induced casein breakdown product. Life Sciences 67:2201-2212.
- Barash, H., Silanikove, N., Shamay, A. and Ezra, E. (2001). Interrelationships among ambient temperature day length and milk yield in dairy cows under a mediterranean climate. J. Dairy Sci. 84:2314-2320.
- Shamay, A. Shapiro, F., Mabjeesh, S .J., and Silanikove, N (2001). Casein-derived phosphopeptides disrupt tight junction integrity, and induced mammary involution in goats. Life Sciences 70:2707-2719.
- Shapiro, F., Shamay, A., and Silanikove, N. (2002). Determination of lactose and D-galactose using thio-NAD+ instead of NAD+ Int. Dairy J. 12:667-669.
- Silanikove, N., Shapiro, F., and Shamay, A. (2002). Use of an ion-selective electrode to determine free Ca ion concentration in the milk of various mammals. J. Dairy Res. 70:241-243.
- Shamay, A. Shapiro, F. Leitner, G. and Silanikove, N (2003). Infusions of casein hydrolyzates into the mammary gland disrupt tight junction integrity and induced involution in cows. J. Dairy Sci. 86:1250-1258.
- Leitner, G., Chaffer, M., Shamay, A., Shapiro, F., Merin. U., Ezra,E., Saran, A. and Silanikove, N. (2004). Changes in Milk Composition as Affected by Subclinical Mastitis in Sheep. J. Dairy Sci. 87:46-52.
- Feuermann, Y., Mabjeesh, S.J. and Shamay, A. (2004). Leptin affect prolactin action on Milk Protein and Fat Synthesis in the Bovine mammary gland. J. Dairy Sci.87:2941-2946.
- Shamay, A., Homans, R., Feuermann, Y., Levin, I., Barash, H., Silanikove, N. and Mabjeesh, S. J. (2005). Expression of albumin in nonhepatic tissues and its synthesis by the bovine mammary gland. J. Dairy Sci. 88:569-576.
Shamay, A., Werner, D., Moallem, U., Barash, H. and Bruckental, I. (2005). The effect of nursing management and skeletal size at weaning on puberty, skeletal growth rate and, milk production during first lactation of dairy heifers. J. Dairy Sci. 88:1460-1469
Silanikove, N., Shapiro, F., Shamay, A. and Leitner, G. (2005). Role of xanthine oxidase, lactoperoxidase and NO in the innate immune system of mammary secretion during active involution in dairy cows: manipulation with casein hydrolyzates.Free Radical Biology & Medicine 38:1139-1151.
Mabjeesh, S.J., Gal-Garber, O., Millgram, G., Feuermann, Y. and Shamay, A. (2005).Gene expression and abundance of aminopeptidase N in caprine mammary gland is influenced by circulating plasma peptide. J. Dairy Sci. 88:2055-2064.
Merchav, R., Feuermann, Y., Shamay, A., Ranen, E., Shtain, U., Dudley E.J., and Shahar, R. (2005).The expression of Canine relaxin, relaxin-like factor and relaxin receptors in the pelvic diaphragm musculature of dogs with and without perineal hernia. Veterinary Surgery 34:476-481.
Barnea, M., Shamay, A., Stark, A.H. and Madar, Z. (2006). A high-fat diet modifies adiponectin expression and related enzymes. Obesity 14:2145-2153.
Feuermann , Y., Mabjeesh, S. J., Niv-Spector, L., Levin, D. and Shamay, A. (2006).Prolactin affects leptin action in the bovine mammary gland via the mammary fat pad. J. Endocrinol. 191:407-413.
Mabjeesh, S. J., Gal-Garber, O. and Shamay A. (2007). Effect of photoperiod in the third trimester of gestation on milk production and circulating hormones of dairy goats. J. Dairy Sci. 90:699-705.
Mabjeesh, S.J., Kerem, Z., Sebastian, K. and Shamay, A. (2007). Saponins disrupt tight junction integrity, and induced mammary involution in lactating goats.The Open Agriculture J. 1:1-4.
Feuermann, Y., Shamay, A. and Mabjeesh, S. J. (2008). Leptin up-regulates the lactogenic effect of prolactin in the bovine mammary gland. J. Dairy Sci. 91:4183-4189.
Miron, J., Adin, G., Solomon, R., Nikbachat, M., Zenou, A., Shamay, A., Brosh, A. and Mabjeesh, S.J. (2008).Heat production and retained energy in lactating cows held under hot summer conditions with evaporative cooling and fed two rations differing in roughage content and in vitro digestibility.Animal 2:843-848
Adin, G., Solomon, R., Shoshani, E., Flamenbaum, I., Nikbachat, M., Yosef,E., Zenou, A., Halachmi, I., Shamay, A., Brosh, A., Mabjeesh, S.J and Miron, J. (2008).Heat production, eating behavior and milk yield of lactating cows fed two rations differing in roughage content and digestibility under heat load conditions.Livestock Science 119:145-153.
Adin, G., Gelman, A., Solomon, R., Flamenbaum, I., Nikbachat, M.,Yosef, E., Zenou, A., Shamay, A., Feuermann, Y., Mabjeesh, S. J. and Miron, J. (2009).Effects of cooling dry cows under heat load conditions on mammary gland enzymatic activity, intake of food and water, and performance during the dry period and after parturition.Livestock Sci. 124:189-195.
Feuermann**, Y., Mabjeesh, S. J. and Shamay, A. (2009). Mammary Fat Can Adjust Prolactin Effect on Mammary Epithelial Cells via Leptin and Estrogen.International Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 2009, Article ID 427260, 8 pages, 2009.
Mazaki-tovi, M., Feuermann, Y., Klement, E., Yas-natan, E., Segev, G., Farkas, A., Kol, A. and Shamay, A. (2010). Increased serum leptin concentration and in sulin resistance in canine. Veterinary J. 183:109-114. (Epub 2008 Oct 2)
Moallem, U., Werner, D., Lehrer, H., Zachut, M., Livshitz, L., Yakoby S.,and Shamay, A. (2010).Long-term effects of adlibitum whole milk during nursery and prepuberty protein supplementation on skeletal growth rate and first lactation milk production.J. Dairy Sci. (in press)
- Book chapters
- McKnight, R.A., Burdon, T., Pursel, V.G., Shamay, A., Wall, R.J. and Hennighausen, L. (1992). The Whey Acidic Protein. In: Breast Cancer: Molecular and Cellular Biology. (Dickson and Lippman, eds.), pp. 399-412. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston.
- Hennighausen,L., Shamay, A., Furth, P.A., McKnight, R.A., Rexroad,C.E Jr., Pursel, V.G., and Wall, R.J. (1993).Transgenic animals as bioreactors for therapeutic and nutritional proteins. In: Schering Foundation Workshop Transgenic animals as a model system for human diseases. (E.F. Wagner and F.Theuring eds.), pp. 129-141. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, New York.
- Yahav, S., Shamay, A., Haberfeld,A., Horev, G., Hurwitz, S., and Friedman Einat, M. (1997). Induction of thermotolerance in chickens by temperature conditioning: Heat shock protein expression. In: An update in thermoregulation from cellular functions to clinical relevance. (C.M. Belatteis ed), pp. 628-636. New York academy of sciences N.Y.
- Arieli, A., Vallimont, J.E., Donkin, S.S., Shamay, A. and Varga, G.A. (2003). Effects of growth hormone and monensin on adipose tissue lipogenesis in transition cow. In: Progress in research on energy and protein metabolism. (W.B. Souffrand and C.C. Metges eds.), pp.113-117. Wageningen Academic Publishers, Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- Effect of leptin on the mammary gland and ovary of the dairy cow
- Environmental manipulation during the dry period of ruminants
interaction of mammary fat pad with tthe epithelial cells.